COLONIE — Three people were hospitalized, one in serious condition, after a fire broke out about 7:20 p.m. Tuesday at Towne Towers Apartments, according to Colonie police.
The fire started in an apartment's kitchen from unattended cooking oil, fire officials said.
The blaze at 12 California Ave. caused the building to be closed to residents and the general public overnight into Wednesday, prompting the Red Cross to stage at Roessleville Elementary School to help displaced residents.
The Red Cross said it was providing financial assistance to a dozen residents, while a majority of the nearly 100 residents of the tower were helped by friends or family.
Firefighters doused the blaze and helped residents who needed to retrieve essential belongings, according to police.
Firefighters contained the flames to the one apartment, but the fire sent heavy smoke elsewhere in the building, prompting the evacuations, Fuller Road Fire Chief Chris Ruff said.
Two residents suffered smoke inhalation. The third, believed to be the resident of the fire-damaged apartment, suffered burns.
The Fuller Road Fire Department was in overall charge of fighting the fire, with assistance from several surrounding departments. Members of Colonie Fire Services are conducting an investigation, police said.