1. It was formed in 1892 by a merger between Edison General Electric in Schenectady and Thomson-Houston Electric Company in Lynn, Massachusetts.
2. The first president of the company was Charles A. Coffin.
3. The current CEO and chairman of the board is Jeffrey Immelt.
4. The company's headquarters is currently moving from Fairfield, Connecticut to Boston.
5. It has 330,000 employees worldwide.
6. It has 7,000 employees in the Capital Region.
7. In 1896, GE became one of the original 12 companies listed on the Dow Jones industrial average.
8. The firm has offices in North and South America, Africa, Asia, Europe, Australia and the Middle East.
9. In 1942, GE in Schenectady reached its peak employment, with 39,000 workers. Two years later, with many men at war, 34 percent of the workforce was female.
10. In 2016 the firm was ranked No. 11 among Fortune 500 companies.
11. The GE conglomerate includes eight subsidiaries: GE Aviation, GE Capital, GE Global Research, GE Healthcare, GE Home and Business Solutions, GE Oil & Gas, GE Power & Water, and GE Transportation.