Subscriber login

What you need to know for 02/25/2018

Schenectady police: Man died after being taken into custody

Schenectady police: Man died after being taken into custody

Suspect 'complained of breathing problems and feeling dizzy'
Schenectady police: Man died after being taken into custody
A Schenectady police car on Albany Street in May 2016.
Photographer: Erin K. O'Neill
SCHENECTADY -- A man taken into custody after a foot chase with police late Thursday afternoon soon complained of breathing problems and was later pronounced dead, police said.
The death prompted the city police to call in the state police to investigate.
Details about the man, including his name and age, were not immediately available Thursday evening.
The incident began shortly after 4:30 p.m. near Ward Avenue when a city policeman attempted to stop a driver for a traffic violation. The driver soon pulled into a driveway on Ward Avenue, got out and ran into the back yard, city police said.
Officers gave chase on foot and eventually took the man into custody behind a residence on Donald Avenue, city police said.
"While the male was alone in the back seat of a police car which was transporting him to the Schenectady Police Department, he complained of breathing problems and feeling dizzy," a city police press release reads. "Upon arrival at the police department he was unresponsive and paramedics from the Schenectady Fire Department were immediately called to render treatment.
Paramedics treated the man and took him to Ellis Hospital by ambulance, where he was later pronounced dead, city police said.
"At the request of the Schenectady Police Department, the New York State Police are currently investigating the incident further," the release read.
View Comments
Hide Comments
0 premium 1 premium 2 premium 3 premium 4 premium 5 premium article articles remaining SUBSCRIBE TODAY

You have reached your monthly premium content limit.

Continue to enjoy Daily Gazette premium content by becoming a subscriber.
Already a subscriber? Log In