Subscriber login


At murder trial, neighbor testifies to scream, gunshot

At murder trial, neighbor testifies to scream, gunshot

Testimony in Knowles case wraps up
At murder trial, neighbor testifies to scream, gunshot
Raekwon Stover enters the Schenectady County Courthouse last week.
Photographer: MARC SCHULTZ

Sekeya Bibbs woke up partially to a scream, she recounted to a Schenectady County jury on Tuesday. She woke up fully to the gunshot.

Bibbs testified Tuesday in the murder trial of Raekwon Stover, who is accused of shooting and killing 17-year-old Medina Knowles inside her family's Schenectady Street apartment late on Sept. 15.

PREVIOUS: Inmate: Stover confessed to Knowles killing

Bibbs, a neighbor, testified to falling asleep about 10:30 p.m. that evening in her bedroom, which has a window facing the Knowles apartment.

Startling her out of sleep, she heard Knowles scream, "Mommy! Ma!" Bibbs testified. 

"Scared, like she was calling for help," Bibbs testified of the tone of Knowles' voice.

Then Bibbs heard the gunshot.

"I heard Medina scream for her mother and it woke me up. What woke me up even more was the gunshot."

Prosecutors say that gunshot ended Knowles' life.

Stover, 19, is standing trial on second-degree murder and other charges in Knowles' killing. Prosecutors say Stover pimped Knowles online and he killed her when she wanted to stop being a prostitute.

Prosecutors say testimony that Knowles screamed prior to the shot shows that her killing was no accident from gun cleaning, as Stover claimed at one point after the shooting.

Bibbs' testimony marked the final day of testimony in the swift-moving murder trial. Prosecutors rested their case mid-day and the defense put on no witnesses. 

Closing arguments are set for Wednesday.

During cross-examination, Stover's attorney Adam Parisi appeared to suggest that the scream Bibbs heard came from a television.

Bibbs, however, said the television was silent and that she heard Knowles.

Bibbs knew Knowles' voice, she told prosecutor Christina Tremante-Pelham, because she spoke with her daily. She even talked with Knowles across the gap between houses once.

The jury also heard from two state police forensic scientists, who testified about tests performed on shoes taken from Stover after he turned himself in two days after Knowles' killing.

Blood found on Stover's shoes, the scientists said, matched that of Knowles.

If convicted on all counts against him, Stover would face in excess of 25 years to life in state prison. Judge Louise Sira is presiding.

View Comments
Hide Comments
0 premium 1 premium 2 premium 3 premium 4 premium article articles remaining SUBSCRIBE TODAY

You have reached your monthly premium content limit.

Continue to enjoy Daily Gazette premium content by becoming a subscriber.
Already a subscriber? Log In