Subscriber login


Answers demanded after Troy officer shoots 22-year-old man

Answers demanded after Troy officer shoots 22-year-old man

'He was running from parole. But that don't give nobody the right to shoot him'

TROY — Demonstrators marched toward Troy's City Hall on Wednesday afternoon to demand answers in a police shooting the night before that injured a city man.

Members of the man's family then met with Mayor Patrick Madden, who told marchers he is committed to seeing the investigation through.

The Tuesday evening shooting injured Dahmeek J. McDonald, 22. Police sought McDonald on a warrant for fleeing parole and found him in a car on 8th Street.


Police said at a Wednesday morning news conference that details of exactly what happened, including whether McDonald was armed, remained under investigation. 

But Officer Jarrod Iler, a five-year veteran of the force, fired, hitting McDonald once in the shoulder and grazing McDonald's head. McDonald survived and was expected to be released from the hospital to parole custody either Wednesday or Thursday.

McDonald's uncle Messiah Cooper led the large group of demonstrators past the shooting scene and to City Hall early Wednesday afternoon.

After meeting with Madden, Cooper implored the crowd to give the investigation a chance, on both the shooting investigation and other issues concerning the neighborhood.

"The man said he's going to address it, he's going to deal with it properly," Cooper told the crowd, before he referenced the needs of the neighborhood. "We're going to walk back up to 9th Street. We're going to have a nice day, a peaceful day, and we're going to give him time to do what he said he was going to do."

Madden told the crowd that he saw the meeting as fruitful, that he and the family disagreed on nothing.

"This investigation needs to follow its course. I'm committed to doing that," Madden said. "I'm confident that we will develop the facts that will explained what happened that night."

Gazette news-gathering partner CBS 6 broadcast both the police news conference and events at City Hall on social media.

As the rally and march began on 9th Street, Cooper spoke of his nephew.

"He had issues," Cooper told the crowd there. "He was running from parole. But that don't give nobody the right to shoot him. Now we're going to City Hall and hopefully the mayor takes notice."

At the morning police news conference, Police Chief John Tedesco said authorities had been searching for McDonald for months, after he removed an ankle monitoring bracelet and fled.

He was on parole for drug sales and has "a history of weapons possession," Tedesco said.

State parole officers relayed a description of a car McDonald might be in, as well as a partial plate. Iler received that information with his partner at the start of his shift and they found the car on 8th Street, near Rensselaer Street.

Then, "events unfolded that are still under investigation," leading to the officer firing, Tedesco said. Tedesco said investigators had yet to speak with the officers.

Iler, his partner and two others who arrived as backup were placed on administrative leave as a matter of policy after such a shooting and not as a disciplinary matter, Tedesco said.

Officers did not have body cameras and police are searching for any footage that may exist elsewhere.

View Comments
Hide Comments
0 premium 1 premium 2 premium 3 premium 4 premium article articles remaining SUBSCRIBE TODAY

You have reached your monthly premium content limit.

Continue to enjoy Daily Gazette premium content by becoming a subscriber.
Already a subscriber? Log In