<> Woman sentenced for attack on pregnant woman | The Daily Gazette

Subscriber login


Woman sentenced for attack on pregnant woman

Woman sentenced for attack on pregnant woman

Woman sobs as maximum sentence is imposed
Woman sentenced for attack on pregnant woman
Janelle Moore reacts after Judge Matthew Sypniewski imposes the maximum sentence for Moore's role in an assault case.
Photographer: Steven Cook/Daily Gazette reporter

SCHENECTADY -- A woman who admitted taking part in a December robbery and attack on a pregnant woman was sentenced Tuesday to eight years in state prison, the maximum possible under her plea deal.

Janelle Moore could have received as little as five years in prison, but Judge Matthew Sypniewski said he found no reason to give her anything less than the max. 

Moore, 18, and co-defendant Niquasia Huntley admitted to taking part in the attack on the pregnant woman, who was just two weeks from her due date at the time.

The pair punched and kicked Lynds and forced her to the floor before throwing cleaning chemicals on her. Lynds repeated in court Tuesday that she feared for both her life and the life of her baby. Her baby later arrived healthy and was in court for Tuesday's sentencing.

The judge called Moore's actions particularly disturbing and depraved, noting she selected a vulnerable victim.

"How this individual defendant could commit those acts is very difficult to fathom," Sypniewski said in pronouncing the sentence.

Moore, in her own statement, spoke of being pregnant herself. She recently gave birth. She expressed remorse for her actions but denied certain aspects of the case, including an allegation that she held a knife to Lynds during the assault.

"I am truly sorry for what happened," said Moore, who was two months pregnant at the time of the December attack.

Moore hoped for a shorter sentence so she could be with her daughter sooner. She broke down sobbing after Sypniewski imposed the maximum sentence.

Moore was represented by attorney Mark Juda, who called Huntley the mastermind and said Moore took responsibility for her actions by accepting the plea deal.

Huntley was sentenced earlier this month to nine years in state prison. Both she and Moore pleaded guilty to first-degree robbery.

Prosecutor William Sanderson, speaking to the court, called Moore's comments self-serving and said they minimized her actions that day.

Lynds recounted those actions in court Tuesday, from the time she allowed the two women into her Broadway apartment to when they turned on her, including details of the prolonged attack.

Lynds couldn't breathe due to the chemicals that were sprayed on her, she said. Her daughter's heart rate dropped in the wake of the attack, leading to a night in the hospital to stabilize her.

Lynds gave birth Jan. 1 to Zoey Ann. The nearly 8-month-old could be heard from the court gallery at points during Tuesday's sentencing.

View Comments
Hide Comments
0 premium 1 premium 2 premium 3 premium article articles remaining SUBSCRIBE TODAY
Thank you for reading. You have reached your 30-day premium content limit.
Continue to enjoy Daily Gazette premium content by becoming a subscriber or if you are a current print subscriber activate your online access.