Subscriber login


Man in Saratoga kidnap attempt set to be released

Man in Saratoga kidnap attempt set to be released

Sex offender could return to Saratoga County
Man in Saratoga kidnap attempt set to be released
John Regan.
Photographer: Provided

SARATOGA SPRINGS — The man who tried to kidnap a teenager in Saratoga Springs 12 years ago will be released from state prison next month, officials said.

John Regan, now 60, formerly of Waterbury, Conn., pleaded guilty to trying to kidnap standout Saratoga Springs High School cross-country runner Lindsey Ferguson on Oct. 31, 2005. He received a 12-year sentence. 

That sentence is up Oct. 27. He will then be under five years of post-releace state supervision and have to register as a sex offender because of a prior similar case in Connecticut, officials said.

Where, exactly, Regan will live upon release is not determined, state corrections officials said. 

But his housing will have to be approved by his parole officer.

If he does return to Saratoga County, Sheriff Michael Zurlo said, Regan would be monitored, both through his state supervision and through his sex offender status. Zurlo had yet to be formally notified of Regan's sex offender status.

"We'll do spot checks to make sure that he is following the rules," Zurlo said. He noted that he has deputies assigned to check in on the county's registered sex offenders.

Regan waited in a van the evening of Oct. 31, 2005, and grabbed Ferguson as she went to her car after cross-country practice. She broke free of his grasp, and cross-country coach Art Kranick followed Regan as he drove away. Kranick's wife and fellow coach, Linda Kranick, called police and they arrested Regan within a few blocks.

A search of Regan's van revealed a tarp, rope, photography equipment and tools, including a shovel, according to prosecutors. Jones said there was also an empty liquor bottle.

The case drew much attention because of its sensational nature and because the victim was a national champion runner.

Regan served his Connecticut time at the same time as his New York sentence.

He pleaded guilty to kidnapping in Connecticut in 2005, based on an attack in 1993. He wasn't charged in that case until 2004 and was free on $350,000 bail when he attacked Ferguson.

Regan had been expected to serve three more years in the Connecticut case, but a state lawthere — long since changed — led to more than three years being taken off his 15-year sentence there, Connecticut corrections officials said.

His victim in the Connecticut case, Donna Palomba, has since gone on to start a victim's advocacy organization called Jane Doe No More. She has spoken previously in the Capital Region.

She said Tuesday evening that she doesn't think someone like Regan should be out in society and she would have fought for a longer sentence had she known more about the true length when prosecutors offered the plea years ago.

"I don't think that this type of person can be rehabilitated," Palomba said. "And I do think that he is predatory and he is dangerous."

View Comments
Hide Comments
0 premium 1 premium 2 premium 3 premium 4 premium article articles remaining SUBSCRIBE TODAY

You have reached your monthly premium content limit.

Continue to enjoy Daily Gazette premium content by becoming a subscriber.
Already a subscriber? Log In