<> Montgomery County escapee pleads guilty | The Daily Gazette

Subscriber login


Montgomery County escapee pleads guilty

Montgomery County escapee pleads guilty

'I think it was a fair resolution; of course it cost a lot of manpower'
Montgomery County escapee pleads guilty
Boyd Wells.
Photographer: Provided

FONDA — The handcuffed inmate who fled the Montgomery County Courthouse will have nearly two years of incarceration ahead of him after he admitted to the escape and an underlying charge this week, prosecutors said.

Boyd Wells, 18, pleaded guilty in Montgomery County Court to escape and a violation of his probation in a previous case, Montgomery County District Attorney Kelli McCoski said Wednesday.

Wells admitted he fled the courthouse July 27 after a court appearance and ran into nearby woods.

An intensive search lasted into the night before he turned himself in with the help of family. Family members had continued the search and he recognized their passing car, the family has said. 

"I think it was a fair resolution," McCoski said Wednesday. "Of course it cost a lot of manpower and a lot of time and a lot of money running, but I think one year and one year consecutive will be a good period of time for him to sit and think."

He is to be sentenced in November.

Wells didn't make it far from the courthouse, family have said. He hid in the woods between the courthouse and Kane Road for several hours and spent most of the evening under a fence, shielded by brush and mud.

He remained handcuffed throughout, but managed to move his hands from back to front.

He had been arrested in a Fulton County burglary case, which resulted in a violation of his earlier probation in a Montgomery County case.

He appeared on that violation July 27 and was ordered held. Handcuffed behind his back and escorted by two officers with a second prisoner, Wells bolted from officers, made it to the woods and disappeared.

Sheriff's deputies, along with state police and other agencies, swarmed the area, using dogs to search the woods and fields beyond. Searchers also used a helicopter for a time.

Finally, about nine hours after the search began, Wells showed up at the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office in Glen, sheriff's officials said.

As for why he ran, his mother has said her son simply panicked. He has a baby on the way and he was terrified to go to prison.

View Comments
Hide Comments
0 premium 1 premium 2 premium 3 premium article articles remaining SUBSCRIBE TODAY
Thank you for reading. You have reached your 30-day premium content limit.
Continue to enjoy Daily Gazette premium content by becoming a subscriber or if you are a current print subscriber activate your online access.