The Flash, Batman, The Joker, Naruto and Ichigo Kurosaki will be walking the streets of Saratoga this weekend.
With the Saratoga Comic Con, comic fans, cosplayers and gamers alike will be visiting the city in droves.
“Once word gets around, everyone wants to go,” said Samuel Chase, a Saratoga resident who has been organizing the comic cons since 2015.
The first year, they had about 1,800 attendees. This time around, they’re expecting 6,000.
“It’s a welcoming and family-friendly environment,” Chase said, “It also brings the community together and raises awareness for Saratoga Springs.”
The convention brings in celebrities such as David Sobolov from the CW’s The Flash, Costas Mandylor from SAW, Picket Fences and 7th Heaven, among others. It also brings in comic book artists like Dave Ryan, Richard Ferguson and several others.
Here’s a breakdown of what to expect at the convention:
- A scene right out of “Stranger Things” will be recreated so that people can pose with it and act out scenes. According to Chase, the wall will depict the scene where Joyce Byers (played by Winona Ryder) is trying to communicate with her son, Will, with lamps and writing on the wall.
- The Montreal X-Men will be returning, along with Star Wars reenactors, the 501st First Legion. The car from Resident Evil will also be making an appearance.
- Cosplay Contests are one of the biggest attractions and there’s plenty of friendly competition for Best in Show, Best Craftsmanship, Best Performance, Best Group, etc. “I find cosplay guest stars,” Chase said. This time around Chelsea Von Chastity, Jennard Cosplays, Moth Child Cosplays, Coach Moses, Kranick Kosplay, The True Mr. J and Lady Bridget Cosplay.
- Self-defense classes for women are at the top of the new activities list this year. It was a priority said Chase and it seems like women are looking for these classes more and more. “I believe in women empowerment,” Chase said. The American Krav Maga of Middle Grove will be teaching self-defense moves geared toward women on Saturday morning and then another class for kids on Sunday.
- Vendors will pack the place, said Chase, selling everything from games to rare comics, to toys and collectibles.
Saratoga Comic Con
WHEN: 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. Sat. Nov. 11, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Sun. Nov. 12
WHERE: Saratoga City Center, 522 Broadway, Saratoga
TICKETS: $20 for Sat., $15 for Sun. or $30 for the weekend
MORE INFO: saratogacomiccon.com