MALTA — The GlobalFoundries-Town of Malta Foundation recently awarded $159,000 to 45 community organizations and projects serving Malta residents.
With the new round of grants, the foundation funded by GlobalFoundries and co-administered by the computer chip manufacturer and the town has now awarded $900,000 over the past seven years. GlobalFoundries launched its $12 billion computer chip plant in Luther Forest seven years ago. Today, it employs approximately 3,000.
The foundation — there's a similar one in the town of Stillwater — was established as part of the package of community benefits offered to the towns that agreed to host the chip plant. The Malta foundation has $3 million in funding, while the Stillwater foundation — which announced its grant recipients in September — has a $1 million endowment.
This year's recipients include:
- After the Fire: $2,000 to support victims of structure fires.
- Ballston Spa High School: $3,023 for course and club support.
- Ballston Spa High School — PTSA: $3,500 for the after-prom activity and Arts-in-Education program.
- Ballston Spa Junior Baseball League: $5,000 for capital improvements.
- Ballston Spa Middle School Drama Club: $2,500 to support production of "Shrek the Musical."
- Best Buddies New York: $2,000 for the Saratoga County Friendship Project for the Ballston Spa School District.
- CAPTAIN Youth and Family Services: $5,000 for CAPTAIN Runaway and Homeless Emergency Youth Shelter.
- Chango Elementary School: $7,456 for the purchase of flexible and ergonomic classroom seating, and other equipment.
- Ballston Spa Schools Partnership for Innovation in Education Fund: $7,500 for the Tech Valley Robot Rumble robotics competition and Ballston Spa High School Robotics Team ($2,000).
- Gordon Creek Elementary PTA: $2,000 for the Guest Author Residency.
- Hands and Paws: $1,000 for continued development of the Welcome Bag program.
- Junior Achievement of Northeastern NY Inc.: $2,350 for Junior Achievement Learning Today … Leading Tomorrow in the Ballston Spa school system.
- Malta Ambulance Corps: $12,300 for secure mobile patient charting pilot program.
- Malta Avenue Elementary Parent Teacher Association: $2,500 for the To Malta and Beyond international and cultural program.
- Malta League of Arts: $3,600 for The Red Violin master class and performance at Round Lake Auditorium.
- Malta Seniors Inc.: $5,500 for cultural, arts and special events to support Malta seniors.
- Malta Sunrise Rotary: $1,800 for benches to enhance trails in the town of Malta.
- Malta Veterans Appreciation Program: $6,000 for housing projects benefiting Malta veterans.
- Malta Youth Commission: $4,500 for Celebrating the 4 Seasons with Family Fun event
- Rebuilding Together Saratoga: $10,000 for repairs and enhancement of qualifying Malta residents’ homes.
- Round Lake Auditorium: $5,000 for improvements to the auditorium entrance.
- Round Lake Library: $5,000 for library enrichment activities and programs for special needs populations (LEAP).
- Round Lake/Malta Youth Baseball: $4,000 toward construction of a new dugout.
- Roundabout Runners Club: $2,500 to maintain and improve running trails in the Hundred Acre Wood of Luther Forest Technology Park.
- Rug Runners Robotics (FIRST Team 20): $6,000 for the Shenendehowa High School FIRST Robotics Team 20.
- Salvation Army: $2,825 to support summer camp opportunities for qualifying Malta residents.
- Saratoga Automobile Association: $2,500 to support the Distracted Driving Initiative for Malta residents and in schools serving Malta residents.
- Saratoga Bridges: $10,000 for community home flooring and renovations.
- Saratoga County EOC: $5,000 for refrigeration unit for Mobile Food Pantry.
- Saratoga Lake Sailing Foundation: $5,000 to provide the Introduction to Sailing program to residents of Malta.
- Shenendehowa PTA Council: $4,000 for the Odyssey of the Mind program.
- St. Mary’s School Lego Enrichment Club: $500 to support equipment upgrades for challenges and competitions.
- St. Peter Lutheran Church: $3,000 to support its food pantry.
- The Children’s Museum of Saratoga: $1,500 for the Give Play program.
- Town of Malta Department of Parks, Recreation and Human Services: $5,600 for an accessible kayak launch at Round Lake Preserve ($2,600) and Concert Series ($3,000).
- Town of Malta Spotlighter’s Theatre: $2,035 for lighting and stage improvements.
- Town of Malta Veterans Committee: $5,000 for the Honor Flight Network program.
Information on the 2018 grant application process will be available on the foundation website in August 2018: https://sites.google.com/site/gfmaltafoundationorg/home.