SARATOGA COUNTY — Two Wednesday night structure fires — one in Ballston Spa and the other in Saratoga Springs — kept firefighters busy, though no injuries were reported.
The Rock City Falls Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched at about 4:30 p.m. to a mobile home park at 321 Atomic Projects Road in Ballston Spa.
"We had it under control in about 25 minutes and cleared out within two hours," Chief Dan Reid said.
He said the blaze was caused by malfunctioning heat tape, which is used to maintain or raise the temperature of pipes that are in danger of freezing.
"The home was destroyed, which is very unfortunate for the people who live there," Reid said. "If we arrived five minutes after we did, we would've had more than one [mobile home] on fire."
Reid said assistance was provided by the Ballston Spa Fire Department and firefighters from the Kenneth A. Kesselring nuclear testing site.
Volunteers from the Northeastern New York chapter of the American Red Cross provided shelter, food and clothing for the two residents of the mobile home.
The organization also provided shelter assistance, food and clothing for three people who were temporarily displaced by a fire at 170 Lake Ave. in Saratoga Springs.
That fire was called in at about 5 p.m. at a multifamily residence, according to Saratoga Springs Assistant Fire Chief Pete Shaw.
"The fire was extremely minor and was a stove-top cooking fire," he said. "There was no structural damage and barely any discoloration on the wall or ceiling."
Shaw added that the fire was out quickly because of a sprinkler system in the unit.