MILTON — More than a month after the Town Board passed a resolution to pay the Boy Scouts' Twin Rivers Council up to $20,000 to reserve the ability to buy Camp Boyhaven, the town is still waiting for a response.
Councilman Benny Zlotnick is spearheading the sale of the 300-acre property, located off Middle Grove Road along the Kayaderosseras Creek.
"It's moving at a snail's pace, but we're hopeful that we're all moving in the right direction," he said. "Hopefully, we'll have something by the end of the month."
Zlotnick added that the town and the council are having discussions "back and forth" on the phone.
"I'm still hopeful that we'll come to some kind of agreement," he said.
Twin Rivers Council CEO Mark Switzer said that, while the council is having three different conversations — one with the town and two with other interested buyers — no definitive plan for Camp Boyhaven's future has been established.
"There's nothing to report as of today," he said on Tuesday. "Next week there may be something more."
The Town Board passed a resolution on May 14 stating the town would pay the council up to $20,000 to sell Camp Boyhaven to the town within 90 days, with the payment offsetting monthly expenses the council is incurring on the property.
Switzer said the council is paying about $1,000 a month for utilities and insurance on Camp Boyhaven.
The town was originally supposed to close on the $1 million purchase of the camp by Dec. 31. Under the terms of that deal, Camp Boyhaven was going to cost the town $500,000, as Planning Board Chairman Larry Woolbright had secured a deal with an anonymous donor for the remaining $500,000.
On April 25, Woolbright announced that the donor had rescinded his offer, after attempts were made by some to reveal the donor's identity publicly.
Woolbright then joined forces with Saratoga PLAN, a Saratoga County-based environmental conservation organization, to launch a fundraising effort that garnered more than $110,000 to help the town purchase the camp.
Though Twin Rivers unanimously voted to adhere to the May 11 closing deadline, Switzer said he suggested that if the town wanted to move forward with the purchase, it should make an offer that would help the council pay monthly property expenses.
Milton held its last special meeting about the Camp Boyhaven purchase on May 22, when Zlotnick announced the council's response to the resolution.
"The council has received the town's offer for an extension and is currently evaluating all of its options for Camp Boyhaven," the council stated. "No decisions have been announced at this time. The council understands the town's interest in receiving a response to their offer, and we will do so as soon as it's feasible."
Councilwoman Barbara Kerr said the Town Board is anxiously awaiting an update.
"Hopefully, we'll have something by the end of the month," she said. "We're waiting on pins and needles."