<> Man found guilty in shooting that seriously injured teen | The Daily Gazette
 

Subscriber login

Schenectady News

Man found guilty in shooting that seriously injured teen

Man found guilty in shooting that seriously injured teen

The victim was hit with a stray bullet, prosecutors said
Man found guilty in shooting that seriously injured teen
Victor Marin
Photographer: Provided (inset); Shutterstock (background)

SCHENECTADY -- A man accused of opening fire on Albany Street last year and wounding a 15-year-old has been convicted of first-degree assault, Schenectady County District Attorney's officials said.

Victor Marin, 29, of Schenectady, faces up to 25 years in state prison on the assault conviction when he is sentenced, at a later date. The jury also convicted him of felony weapons possession.

The jury convicted Marin of opening fire on someone with whom he had had a confrontation on Sept. 18, 2017. Marin's bullet missed Marin's intended victim and instead hit the 15-year-old, prosecutors said.

"Mr. Marin believed it was appropriate to resort to gunfire in retaliation for being disrespected and in the process seriously wounded a third party. ... The disastrous results of his decision that day have earned him the long prison sentence Judge Hogan will no doubt impose," Schenectady County District Attorney Robert Carney said in a prepared statement.

Judge Kathleen Hogan presided over the trial. Kyle Petit prosecuted, and Marin was represented by attorney Michael Mansion.

The 15-year-old suffered a shattered tibia. His leg still has yet to fully heal, prosecutors said, but doctors are hopeful it will in the coming months.

The shooting resulted from a feud between Marin and his intended victim, prosecutors said. Marin obtained a loaded revolver, followed the person to Albany and Hulett streets and opened fire as he walked, then ran, away.

Marin claimed justification, because his intended target had earlier shown he was armed, prosecutors said. But prosecutors showed Marin had plenty of opportunity to call police for assistance or leave the situation, prosecutors said.

The jury acquitted Marin of second-degree attempted murder, a charge that is on the same potential sentencing level as his first-degree assault conviction.

Marin also was arrested in October 2015, accused of participating in a robbery that led to a 2014 murder. 

Previous:

Marin had faced one count of first-degree robbery for allegedly using a handgun to take a man's keys and minivan in October 2014.

The robbery case went to trial but was dismissed after issues surfaced with witnesses, prosecutors have said.

View Comments
Hide Comments
0 premium 1 premium 2 premium 3 premium 4 premium article articles remaining SUBSCRIBE TODAY

You have reached your monthly premium content limit.

Continue to enjoy Daily Gazette premium content by becoming a subscriber.
Already a subscriber? Log In