<> New Niskayuna note threat: Van Antwerp school classes resume, district says | The Daily Gazette
 

Subscriber login

News

New Niskayuna note threat: Van Antwerp school classes resume, district says

New Niskayuna note threat: Van Antwerp school classes resume, district says

The latest threat follows one Monday at Niskayuna High
New Niskayuna note threat: Van Antwerp school classes resume, district says
A State Parks Department officer tracks the grounds of Van Anterp Middle School on Story Avenue in Niskayuna Wednesday
Photographer: Peter R. Barber/Gazette Photographer

NISKAYUNA - Classes have resumed at Van Antwerp Middle School after an afternoon bomb threat note, the second threat note at a Niskayuna school this week.

The district placed the school on a "shelter-in-place" mode after a bomb threat note was reported to school administration, the district said on its website at 12:25 p.m.

A later note posted at 2 p.m. and attributed to Superintendent Cosimo Tangorra, Jr., indicated police checked the building, found nothing and allowed the school day to go on.

Photos: Scenes from Wednesday's investigation at Van Antwerp, Nov. 7, 2018

"The police are continuing an active investigation into this situation, as well as others that have taken place in our schools in recent days," Tangorra wrote. "Threatening violence toward a school is a felony. We thank the police for their work on behalf of the safety of our schools."

Shelter-in-place is used to limit movement in the school while a situation can be assessed, the district said.

Wednesday's note comes two days after a threatening note at the high school sent that building into lockdown for hours and prompted fears throughout the building. Also, just last week, a 17-year-old Niskayuna student was charged with a felony count of making a terroristic threat. At least twice this year, Iroquois Middle School has been placed in lockdown in response to a threat, with one of those lockdowns delaying the regular dismissal.

Previous: Lengthy lockdown stirs student angst in Niskayuna, Nov. 6, 2018

"We join our community in its frustration about the disruption and inconvenience that recent threats have caused in our schools," Tangorra's Wednesday note concludes. "There is nothing that we take more seriously than the safety of our students. The recent threats have been a significant impediment to instruction in our schools. We will be reminding students of our commitment to their safety and the serious consequences that can result from making threats against school. We ask you to help reinforce this message at home."

A forum is scheduled for this evening at the high school to address Monday's incident and response.

Photos: Scenes from Wednesday's investigation at Van Antwerp, Nov. 7, 2018

 

View Comments
Hide Comments
0 premium 1 premium 2 premium 3 premium 4 premium article articles remaining SUBSCRIBE TODAY

You have reached your monthly premium content limit.

Continue to enjoy Daily Gazette premium content by becoming a subscriber.
Already a subscriber? Log In