City breweries and restaurants were preparing for the upcoming Schenectady Beer Week on Sunday, with many of them either getting ready to unveil new beers of their own, or collaborate with other local businesses.
More than 16 area restaurants and breweries will be hosting various events and promotions during this year's event, which runs from Monday, Feb. 4, through Sunday, Feb. 10.
Featured locations include Back Barn Brewing Company, Backstage Pub LLC, Bombers Burrito Bar, Centre Street Pub, Druthers Brewing Company, Firestone 151, Frog Alley Brewing, Great Flats Brewing, Hunter's on Jay, Katie O'Byrne's Irish Pub & Restaurant, Mad Jack Brewing Company, The Schenectady Distilling Company, Inc., Slidin' Dirty Schenectady, Waters Edge Lighthouse and Wolf Hollow Brewing Company.
Customers will also have an opportunity to also win a passport to the Schenectady Ale Trail by "liking" the Discover Schenectady Facebook page, taking selfies and other photos at all Beer Week events and posting those pictures on the Beer Week Facebook event page.
For breweries participating in the event for the first time, beer week provides them with opportunities to collaborate with other local breweries and showcase their own expertise.
For example, Back Barn Brewing Company is collaborating with Wolf Hollow Brewing for a release later this week as the former prepares to open its own facility.
"We're excited about beer week," said Back Barn Brewing Company owner Brenda Schworm. For beer week, she said, the brewery wanted to focus on producing something with a historic flair. The result, she said, is a turn-of-the-century Burton ale. The assistant brewer at the company, Schworm said, worked on gathering historical research to release the beer with Wolf Hollow, and dug up an old recipe for the beer.
"We decided to give it a go," she said. "We're focusing on classic type beers. We've got some pretty interesting beers in our tanks right now."
Druthers Brewing Company is also preparing to participate in the event for the first time. Beer week is exciting, said manager Thomasine Piazzo, because it represents a cooperation of all local breweries working together to provide something they're equally passionate about.
"I think it's going to be really cool," she said on Sunday. "I'm happy to see Schenectady coming up."
Some of the deals Druthers will be offering throughout the week, including a $10 beer flight, are deals that are already popular with customers. Usually, she said, the restaurant does that on Mondays.
"We've been getting a big turnout for that," she said.
Below is a detailed schedule of events for beer week, by date:
- Slidin' Dirty Schenectady will have a Beer-Shot-Slider Combo special for $12!
- Mad Jack Brewing Company will have a special Beer Pairing Dinner Menu available all week!
- Great Flats Brewing (closed on Mon & Tues) Happy Hour Specials from 4 to 6 p.m. ($2 off pints!)
- Druthers Brewing Company will be offering beer flights for $10!
- Centre Street Pub will be tapping the Beer Week Collaboration Beers at 4 p.m, starting a kick off celebration with Wolf Hollow Brewing Company at 5 p.m. and hosting a "Meet the Brewers" event with the Frog Alley Brewing team starting at 6 p.m.
- Hunter's on Jay will be tapping its Beer Week Collaboration Beers starting at 6 p.m. and hosting trivia with at 7 p.m.
- Bombers Burrito Bar will be hosting a "Beat the Brewers" Night in its second floor arcade space.
- Mad Jack Brewing Company will be hosting a collaboration beer release party to celebrate its Passionfruit IPA collaboration with Great Flats Brewing.
- Hunter's on Jay is hosting a Tap Takeover with Equilibrium Brewery.
- Centre Street Pub is hosting Captain Lawrence sponsored trivia from 7 to 9 p.m. and A Firkin Good Night starting at 9 p.m.
- Firestone 151 is celebrating Alchemist Night. Patrons can enjoy Heady Topper and Focal Banger cans.
- Wolf Hollow Brewing Company will host hosting a can release at their brewery.
- Waters Edge Lighthouse will host a Tap Takeover with Frog Alley Brewing.
- Katie O'Byrne's Irish Pub & Restaurant is hosting Blue Moon trivia at 8 p.m. featuring $5 drafts, or $7 for 23 oz. It will also be doing a ticket giveaway to West Mountain.
- Hunter's on Jay is hosting Bingo Night with Rare Form Brewing Company.
- The Schenectady Distilling Company, Inc. will have live music from 7 to 10 p.m. and will have its Beer Week Collaboration Beers on tap in its bar.
- Frog Alley Brewing will be releasing a surprise beer at Katie O'Byrne's Irish Pub & Restaurant from 6 to 9 p.m. with music from Dave Tomasek.
- Centre Street Pub will host a "Rare Beer" Night with Founders Brewing Company and Goose Island.
- Great Flats Brewing will be celebrating its collaboration beer with Mad Jack Brewing Company with a trivia night from 7 to 9 p.m. along with their happy hour special.
- Firestone 151 will be featuring $3 Great Flats Brewing drafts all night long.
- Druthers Brewing Company will be having a brewery tour at 6 p.m.— call ahead to make reservations to get on the list.
- Centre Street Pub will host a "Bring Your Own Vinyl Night" with Singlecut Brewing at 7 p.m.
- Wolf Hollow Brewing Company is hosting a pub crawl throughout downtown -- details to come.
- Hunter's on Jay will be hosting live music from Benny and The Winchesters.
- Druthers Brewing Company will be having $4 pints all day.
- Frog Alley Brewing will be at Jay St. Pub for trivia night kicking off at 7 p.m.
- Firestone 151 is celebrating "Wolf Hollow Brewing Company" Night with $3 Wolf Hollow drafts all night long. They'll be rocking to the tunes of Jim McArdle starting at 6 p.m.
- Katie O'Byrne's Irish Pub & Restaurant will be celebrating #ThirstyThursday with a Tap Takeover from Northway Brewing.
- Centre Street Pub will host an NYC Night with the Craft Beer Guild and Remarkable Liquids.
- Hunter's on Jay will be hosting a night with the Craft Beer Guild.
- Firestone 151 will be hosting "Mad Jack Brewing Company" Night with $3 Mad Jack Drafts all night long.
A jam session with Dave Tomasek will start at 6 p.m.
- Frog Alley Brewing is releasing two special versions of their MOHOP IPA from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. and will jamming out to the Funk Soul Brother Trio.
- Stay tuned for more info from Centre Street Pub on an awesome Charity Beer Walk to complete the week.
- Firestone 151 will be hosting "Frog Alley Brewing" Night with Food & Beer Pairings from 6 to 8 p.m. and $3 Frog Alley drafts all night long.
Music from Josh Casano will kick off at 6 p.m.
- Centre Street Pub will be open for its "Hangover Brunch."