AMSTERDAM - Six people, five of them from outside the area, conspired to steal over-the-counter medication from the Amsterdam Hannaford Sunday night, Montgomery County Sheriff's officials said.
The arrests came after a joint effort from the sheriff's office, the Amsterdam Police Department, state police and store loss prevention, officials said.
The incident happened just after 7 p.m. Sunday, officials said. Dispatchers received a call then for a report of a larceny in progress at the Hannaford in the Town of Amsterdam. Suspects had made off with more than $700 worth of the medication, officials said.
The suspects fled in a vehicle headed north. Deputies and officers responded. Amsterdam officers soon found the vehicle and stopped it near the Fulton County line. All six inside the vehicle were charged, officials said.
"This case is a perfect example of agencies working together to successfully apprehend suspects committing larcenies," Sheriff Jeffery Smith said in a release.
Those arrested and charged with misdemeanor petit larceny and sixth-degree conspiracy were:
- Shanze-Alise Tajje Lincoln, 25, of Brooklyn
- Samual A. Payano, of Amsterdam
- Haquan M. McWhorter, 29, of Green Cover Springs, Fla.
- Kiandra D. Smith, 25, of Rivera Beach, Fla.
- Richard Hernandez, 27, of Harlem
- Delquan D. Willis, 26, of Brooklyn
They were each arraigned and ordered held on $2,500 bail. McWhorter was also found to be wanted on a Broome County Family Court warrant and ordered held on an additional $6,500, officials said.
- Troopers: Schenectady man faces felony DWI count after Thruway crash, March 25, 2019
- DA: Phone records early key in Michaela MacVilla disappearance, murder investigation, March 24, 2019
- Ex-con accused in Thursday Schenectady shooting, March 24, 2019