ALBANY — Five finalists have been announced for the Albany and St. Peter’s Health Partners Mother of the Year contest.
- Marylin Kippins of Latham, nominated by her friend Dwight Williams;
- Kathleen Purello of Schenectady, nominated by her daughter Jackie Coons;
- Michelle Stark of Glenville, nominated by her daughter Arrianna Stark;
- Maria Rosa Tabora of Albany, nominated by her daughter Kathy Tabora and
- Wanda Wilson of Cohoes, nominated by her friend Sabrina Brewington.
The annual contest “celebrates mothers who are committed to their families and communities while serving as positive role models and touching the lives of those around them.”
The event is held in conjunction with Albany Tulip Fest, the springtime event held every year during Mother’s Day Weekend.
Albany Mayor Kathy Sheehan, the Tulip Queen and her Court will greet the five finalists and crown a winner on the Lake House stage in Washington Park on Sunday at noon.
Last year’s winner was Wilton resident June MacClelland.
Organizers highlighted her work with Saratoga Springs-based AIM Services, which provides residential and community-based services for those with traumatic brain injuries and the disabled.
MacClelland also adopted a daughter with Down syndrome, whom she raised with help from her mother and close friends.
The 21st Annual Mother of the Year Contest is presented by St. Peter’s Health Partners with support from FidelisCare and sponsored by the city of Albany, Upstate and [email protected] magazine, B95 radio and The Times Union.