<> Schenectady shooting suspect, a seasonal city worker, has prior record | The Daily Gazette
 

Subscriber login

News

Schenectady shooting suspect, a seasonal city worker, has prior record

Schenectady shooting suspect, a seasonal city worker, has prior record

Jason Sellie accused of double shooting
Schenectady shooting suspect, a seasonal city worker, has prior record
Photographer: Gazette file photo

SCHENECTADY — The man accused of shooting two people in Hamilton Hill last week is a city employee with a history of violence.

Jason L. Sellie, 40, was charged with first-degree assault and two counts of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon, all felonies, following the Fourth of July shooting.

City police said Sellie shot Wayne Q. Brown, 18, in the chest at the corner of Emmett and Hamlin streets.

Authorities haven’t released the name of the second victim.

Tuesday Update: Police: Both men hurt in Thursday Schenectady shooting now charged

Sellie works for the city Waste Collection & Recycling Department, city Personnel & Benefits Administrator Tiffany White confirmed on Monday.

He was hired by the city on Sept. 10, 2018 as a seasonal employee. 

“He is still an active employee,” said White, who declined to provide additional information, citing confidentiality statutes.

White said criminal background checks for city jobs are specific to the position.

Asked if Sellie was subject to a criminal background check, White said, “In this case, probably not.”

Sellie remained in the custody of the county Sheriff’s Department on Monday.

He had previously been convicted of two felonies. 

Sellie pleaded guilty in 2003 to second-degree criminal possession of a weapon, a class C felony, in connection with a 2002 gun battle that killed a city resident. 

He admitted that he took a gun to a fight and fired it at people and into the air in a crowded neighborhood during the shootout that killed Robert Wyche, who was standing on the porch of a Schenectady Street residence.

Sellie agreed to cooperate against the accused killer, Richard Rollins, and testified at his murder trial.

Sellie, who was initially charged with second-degree murder with two other people, was not accused of firing the fatal shot, but his participation in the gun battle could have resulted in him being convicted of murder charges.

He served four years of a six-year sentence at Downstate Correctional Facility and was paroled in 2007.

As a 16-year-old, Sellie pleaded guilty to second-degree attempted assault in 1997. 

Sellie and three other teens were accused of beating a man outside of 118 Jay St., according to Daily Gazette archives. 

He served seven months before being paroled, according to the state Department of Corrections and Community Supervision database.

Tuesday Update: Police: Both men hurt in Thursday Schenectady shooting now charged

View Comments
Hide Comments
0 premium 1 premium 2 premium 3 premium article articles remaining SUBSCRIBE TODAY
Thank you for reading. You have reached your 30-day premium content limit.
Continue to enjoy Daily Gazette premium content by becoming a subscriber or if you are a current print subscriber activate your online access.