SARATOGA SPRINGS -- A 29-year-old Schenectady man on Friday was sentenced to 40 years in state prison for attempted murder and attempted assault in a violent stabbing in Saratoga Springs last August, according to the Saratoga County District Attorney's Office.
Cendno Rahaman was convicted in June of the attempted murder charge, three counts of attempted first-degree assault and tampering with evidence. Saratoga County Court Judge James Murphy sentenced Rahaman to the maximum sentence for the attempted murder, 25 years, as well as 15 years for the attempted assault charges.
Rahaman was convicted in an Aug. 13 stabbing last summer that took place after an argument. Police said he chased three people up Caroline Street, slashing a male victim and female victim before chasing a third victim to Broadway, where he stabbed that person repeatedly in the face and head, according to the police.
Prior to sentencing, Charles Bucca, an assistant district attorney, told the court that one of the victims still had "nightmares" about the night he was attacked and forced to "bargain for his life." The three victims that night were transported to Albany Medical Center to be treated for serious injuries.
"The victims in this case were enjoying the numerous venues Saratoga Springs has to offer people on a summer evening last year. That changed dramatically because of the actions of defendant Rahaman," Saratoga County District Attorney Karen Heggen said in a news release. "We believe the sentence imposed today by the court reflects the significant nature of the crimes committed."