<> Creativity and interest in journalism encouraged in annual Student Gazette contest | The Daily Gazette

Subscriber login

History

Creativity and interest in journalism encouraged in annual Student Gazette contest

125 Years

Contest has been running for the past 21 years
The winners of the 2019 Student Gazette gather for a picture in front of the Daily Gazette building in Schenectady.
Photographer: Peter R. Barber/Gazette Photographer

For the past 21 years, The Gazette has offered Capital Region youth a unique way to interact and engage with the newspaper: its annual Student Gazette contest. 

Students attending elementary, middle and high schools, both public and private, in The Gazette’s circulation area are encouraged to submit written pieces and photographs for the chance to win cash prizes and have their work published in a special print edition. 

Its ultimate goal is to stimulate both creativity and an interest in journalism among young people. 

There are five submission categories. 

News/feature writing: Stories written about people, places, events or issues in the student’s community.

More from 125 Years of Gazette special anniversary edition:

Opinion pieces: Students have the opportunity to share their own thoughts about news, issues or controversies within their communities; restaurant, movie and book reviews are also considered for this category.

Sports: Stories written about any kind of sports, with a preference given to those about local sports.

Editorial cartoons: A series of up to four panels that visually depict a student’s thoughts about a particular event, topic or issue.

Photographs: Pictures snapped by students, not necessarily for a student newspaper or yearbook.

First-, second- and third-place winners are selected for each category in three divisions — grades 3-6, grades 7-9 and grades 10-12 — and are invited to attend an awards ceremony held at The Gazette’s headquarters.

View Comments
Hide Comments
0 premium 1 premium 2 premium 3 premium article articles remaining SUBSCRIBE TODAY
Thank you for reading. You have reached your 30-day premium content limit.
Continue to enjoy Daily Gazette premium content by becoming a subscriber or if you are a current print subscriber activate your online access.