SCHENECTADY — The winner and new chili champion: Mad Jack Brewing Co. at The Van Dyck.
The fifth annual Downtown Schenectady Chili Chowdown was sponsored by the Downtown Schenectady Improvement Corporation and brought together 19 restaurants, the most yet for this event. Guests paid $1 per cup to taste the creations; those who sampled eight or more could then vote for their favorite.
The craft brewer/restaurant/concert venue in The Stockade neighborhood was voted tops Saturday by tasters for its Christmas Chili Infused with Christmas Ale and Topped with Avocado Sour Cream.
Second place went to Taj Mahal Restaurant for its Chicken Chili and third place went to Johnny’s Restaurant for its Thai Chicken Chili.
Other participating restaurants and their creations were:
- 151 Bar & Restaurant, Beefy Bean and Beer Chili
- The Backstage Pub, Smoke House Chili
- Bombers Burrito Bar, Mexican Vegetarian Chili
- Centre Street Pub, Chipotle Black Bean Chili
- The DillyBean, Maple Pickle-Back Chili
- Hunter’s on Jay, Chili Verde
- Jay Street Pub with TJ’s Flightline Pub, The Super Basic Chili
- Katie O’Byrne’s Irish Pub, Katie’s Chili
- Katz Kafe, Cheesy Chicken Chili
- Maria’s Café & Catering, Chipotle Chicken Chili
- Mexican Radio, Dos XX Carnes
- Nico’s Rooftop Tavern, Texas Style Chili
- Pinhead Susan’s, Beef Chili
- Raw–A Healthy Cafe, Grammy T’s Chili
- Union Inn, Cilantro Chicken Chili
- Wolff’s Biergarten, Wolff’s Vegetarian Chili