<> Sentencing delayed for Hagaman man in child sexual exploitation case | The Daily Gazette
 

Subscriber login

Fulton Montgomery Schoharie

Sentencing delayed for Hagaman man in child sexual exploitation case

Sentencing delayed for Hagaman man in child sexual exploitation case

Sentencing delayed for Hagaman man in child sexual exploitation case
John D. Salisbury
Photographer: New York State Police (inset); Shutterstock (background)

ALBANY -- Sentencing for a Hagaman man who admitted to child sexual exploitation has been delayed until March, federal court records show.

John D. Salisbury, 48, pleaded guilty in June in federal court to four counts of sexual exploitation of a child and one count of transportation of child pornography.

Salisbury admitted in June that on four occasions between October 2016 and February 2017 he used a hidden camera inside the bathroom of his residence to produce sexually explicit videos depicting a minor, federal prosecutors said previously.

He faces possible decades in prison and he agreed the he would not be able to appeal any sentence of up to 30 years in prison. Federal guidelines call for a recommended 30-year-to-life term, according to one court filing. A judge is to have the final say.

Salisbury was indicted a year ago on each of the five counts. The accusations were largely based on charges leveled against him at the time of his December 2017 arrest by state police. A judge ordered him detained pending trial.

Salisbury also admitted in June that he knowingly uploaded photos and videos depicting child pornography from a smartphone to an Internet-based email account, prosecutors said. 

The Leader-Herald reported at the time of Salisbury's initial arrest that he was a volunteer at St. Mary's Institute in Amsterdam and coached the after-school junior girls' basketball team.

Sentencing had been originally set for October, but was delayed until this week. The court last week formally delayed sentencing again until March 12.

Ahead of the January sentencing date, however, attorneys in the case filed their written arguments.

Salisbury's attorney, Gerard V. Amedio, argued Salisbury has accepted responsibility for his actions and has undergone mental health treatment since his incarceration. 

Amedio argued for a sentence below the guideline recommendation of 30-years-to-life.

"He accepted sole responsibility for his actions and has never attempted to minimize the severity of his conduct or the harm done to his victims," Amedio wrote.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Emmet O'Hanlon countered that Salisbury was charged with four instances of secret filming, the ones charged in the indictment, but the total times he recorded were at least 19.

A guidelines sentence is not only reasonable, but warranted and justified, O'Hanlon wrote.

"It is also a sentence that at least begins to address the seriousness of the defendant's offenses and the great harm they have inflicted upon the children that he victimized," O'Hanlon wrote.

View Comments
Hide Comments
0 premium 1 premium 2 premium 3 premium article articles remaining SUBSCRIBE TODAY
Thank you for reading. You have reached your 30-day premium content limit.
Continue to enjoy Daily Gazette premium content by becoming a subscriber or if you are a current print subscriber activate your online access.