The Saratoga meet is known for its long shots and surprise finishes, but Friday’s feature race, the Coronation Cup Stakes, run at 5 1/2 furlongs on the turf, is the type of race that has historically been a bastion of consistency here.
Since the 2013 meet, 49 stakes races have been run at Saratoga at today’s distance and surface, and in 23 of those races, the betting favorite has been victorious, good for about 47% of those races.
I suspect Friday’s favorite will be Artie’s Princess (7-2). The filly picks up new jockey Irad Ortiz Jr. in her first run on turf. She is listed behind She’s My Type (3-1) in the morning line, but Artie’s Princess will enter the gate with a better overall record in races that more closely matches Friday’s distance.
Those looking to buck the trend of favorites can look to Always In the Munny (12-1), who over five races has thus far lived up to her name. She has also never run on turf, but her dam, Always a Star, has produced three winners on the grass.
- FIRST RACE: 5-Our Bella Nicole, 6-Pazzion, 1-Doyouknowwhoiam, 2-Stylish Rags.
- SECOND RACE: 8-Getoffmyback, 2-Missle Bomb, 3-O Shea Can U See, 4-Business Cycle.
- THIRD RACE: 3-Prairie Wings, 8-Sengekontacket, 6-Sursum Corda, 5-Champagne Diet.
- FOURTH RACE: 3-Unholy Alliance, 4-Liza Star, 1-What A Fox, 5-Pacific Gale.
- FIFTH RACE: 13-Dream Chasing, 6-High School Crush, 15-Vinda Machine, 3-Excited Feeling.
- SIXTH RACE: 1-Empire Line, 2-Cobble Hill, 8-Jerome Avenue, 5-Cavaradossi.
- SEVENTH RACE: 4-Blanket Of Roses, 10-Dynadrive, 3-Bad Beat Brian, 7-Gravitas.
- EIGHTH RACE: 8-Flashpackinbarbie, 9-Jewel Of Arabia, 4-Fair Lassie, 2-Happy Sophia.
- NINTH RACE: 8-Artie’s Princess, 1-Always Inthe Munny, 4-Miss J Mckay, 5-Shippy.
- TENTH RACE: 3-Lido Key, 11-Corey Scores, 5-Leeway, 9-Princess Fawzia.
Sugar Fix (first), Unrelenting Force (second), Foxtail (third), Our Lady of Lorteto (fourth), Rinaldi (fifth), Funny Guy (ninth), Adios Amigos (tenth).
Record for meet: 27-for-112.