<> Save America's Treasures awards $370,000 to Santanoni | The Daily Gazette
 

Subscriber login

blogs & columns

Save America's Treasures awards $370,000 to Santanoni

Blue Line Bulletin

Save America's Treasures awards $370,000 to Santanoni

NEWCOMB

The National Park Service's Save America's Treasures program has awarded $370,000 toward further restoration at Camp Santanoni, one of the last of the historic Adirondack Great Camps.

The money is to be matched by other partners in the restoration -- the state Department of Environmental Conservation, the town of Newcomb, and the Friends of Camp Santanoni.

"We are delighted to receive this critically important funding for our collaborative efforts to restore Camp Santanoni and make it an even more exciting destination for visitors to the Adirondacks," said Steven Englebright, executive director of Adirondack Architectural Heritage, which has overseen the work.

The camp, owned by the state and located on state Forest Preserve land five miles from the nearest paved road, was built in 1893 by Robert and Anna Pruyn of Albany, and at its largest consisted of 12,900 acres and four dozen structures, including a working farm. The state has owned it since 1972. State officials have been working to restore the main camp as well as some of the outer buildings.

The new grant will be used for exterior conservation projects including foundation stabilization, log replacement, masonry repairs and replacement of the 15,000-square-foot wooden shingle roof.

The camp is a National Historic Landmark, as well as being listed on the federal and state registers of historic places.