Lace up your sneakers and let's go for a walk! Digital Scrapbook is visiting hot spots from Schenectady's past today.
We're going to shop on State Street, at Breslaw Brothers, Wallace's and Union Fern. We're going to catch a flick at the Fabian and say a prayer inside First Methodist.
We'll check out the Shell gas station on Erie Boulevard — and wonder where all the beer is. Then we'll grab dinner at the Ritz Restaurant on Van Vranken Avenue.
Ready? Let's go for a walk through history!
Schenectady's Fabian Plaza Theater opened at 617 State St. in 1931. It was demolished in 1964.
The interior of Schenectady's Ritz restaurant during the late 1940s.
The Breslaw Brothers home furnishings store at 134-136 State St. in Schenectady was once one of the regional company's top stores. This photograph was taken during the spring of 1950.
The Ritz Restaurant served meals for decades on Van Vranken Avenue.
Schenectady's Union Fern furniture store store was once a popular stop for downtown shoppers. It was located at 260 State St., and opened in 1921. In 1961, company officials closed the store and moved operations to Menands.
Shell was open for business on Erie Boulevard in Schenectady in 1964. But German engineering means the spot now pumps beer: Wolff’s Biergarten opened on the spot in the fall of 2014.
Schenectady's First Methodist Church is pictured in June 1948.