Atomic cannons. Giant anti-aircraft guns. The powerful “Honest John” rocket. The high-tech weapons were all in production at the Watervliet Arsenal in 1958. Capital Region residents received the chance to examine the dangerous cannons and missiles in 1958. The arsenal designed to arm America opened its doors for Armed Forces Day on May 17, 1958.
A worker at the Watervliet Arsenal sizes up a shell for a 280 mm atomic cannon. The arsenal showed off weapons to the public on May 17, 1958 — Armed Forces Day.
Joan Valente sits on the powerful, 25-foot-long “Honest John” missile, which was built at the Watervliet Arsenal during the late 1950s.
C.F. LaViolette of Glenville was the head of the graphic arts division at the arsenal.
A technician at the Watervliet Arsenal checks the revolving shell chamber on a high-speed 37 mm anti-aircraft cannon in 1958.
Precise rifling gleams in the business end of a 90 mm cannon at the Watervliet Arsenal.
Barrels for 90 mm cannons were part of the production line.