Sometimes, the face is familiar. Other times, the place is familiar. People in the Capital Region might remember the Fabian Plaza Theater at 617 State St. Or the Union-Fern furniture store at 260 State — both left Schenectady’s downtown scene decades ago.
Schenectady’s Union-Fern furniture store was once a popular stop for downtown shoppers. It was at 260 State St. and opened in 1921. In 1961, company officials closed the store and moved operations to Menands.
Schenectady’s Fabian Plaza Theater opened at 617 State St. in 1931. It was demolished in 1964.
The Pattersonville Furniture Store, established in 1936 by Clyde and Reba Stein, is still in business on Route 5S in Pattersonville. The Tydol “Flying A” service station is long gone.
The Ritz Restaurant served meals for decades on Van Vranken Avenue.
Schenectady’s First United Methodist Church is pictured in June 1948.