In 1927, legendary aviator Charles Lindbergh and his famous plane "The Spirit of St. Louis" visited Schenectady Airport, not long after the airport had first opened.
Planes are lined up outside the hangar at Schenectady Airport in the 1920s.
Charles Lindbergh, wearing his aviator goggles and leather coat, stands near his famous “Spirit of St. Louis” airplane at the Schenectady Airport in 1927.
Aviatrix Thea Rasche meets Schenectady residents during a visit to the then-new Schenectady Airport on Aug. 11, 1927.
Lindbergh's visit is the lead story in the July 28, 1927 Schenectady Gazette.
The Gazette's coverage of Lindbergh's visit in the following day's Gazette — July 29, 1927.
Victor Starzewski, left, and A.J. Horn, second from right, were at the Schenectady Airport on Dec. 1, 1927 — the day the first airmail plane landed at Schenectady.
Nightfall at the GE Flight Test Center at Schenectady County Airport. Engineers tested hundreds of advanced aircraft designs at the Glenville facility.
Tim Clark will give presentations as Lindbergh next weekend as ESAM celebrates the airport’s 90th anniversary. (Courtesy of Tim Clark)