Jeff joined The Gazette in February 1981, and was first assigned suburban government beats. He also spent about eight years on the newspaper’s police beat.
He has been a feature writer in The Gazette’s Life & Arts department since 1991. He has researched and written the newspaper’s Monday morning history page and also handles The Gazette’s reader participation contests. His first-person pieces have included reports on spending a night in a haunted house, living as a “Blue Man” for a day, testing a flying machine, visiting a nudist resort and performing a cameo role at Proctor’s Theatre in Schenectady.
Wilkin was born in Rochester and graduated from Aquinas Institute high school in 1973. He earned his bachelor’s degree in journalism from St. Bonaventure University in 1977. He began his journalism career at The Post-Star in Glens Falls in 1978, and also has worked at the Democrat & Chronicle in Rochester. Wilkin lives in Albany. His interests include cooking, reading, running, cross-country skiing, cycling, cinema, the Baltimore Orioles and Buffalo Bills.
Recent articles by Jeff Wilkin:
- May 26, 2022 - Travel 2022: Still offering a breath of fresh air at Saranac Lake
- Mar 3, 2022 - 50 Years since Mohawk Airlines Flight 405 crash in Albany
- Feb 24, 2022 - Outlook 2022: Uncle Sam’s Chocolate keeps pace with holiday demand, still values brick-and-mortar presence
- Sep 11, 2021 - 9/11 20 years later: Our readers remember
- Sep 10, 2021 - 9/11 20 years later — Gazette staffers recall covering that awful day
- Sep 9, 2021 - 9/11 20 years later: Mom recalls son killed in WTC; Canty family turned grief into support for community
- May 27, 2021 - Travel 2021 | Schroon Lake: ‘Quintessential little town’ offers deep-blue escape
- Jan 31, 2021 - Sid Brown, whose photographs illustrated pages of The Daily Gazette for more than 40 years, dies at 93
- Dec 30, 2020 - Reporter’s article about 1918 pandemic on his Top 5 list of 2020 stories
- Dec 23, 2020 - Gazette Christmas Coloring Contest winners announced; nearly 400 kids participated
- Dec 5, 2020 - The night John Lennon died — Local fans look back 40 years later
- Nov 12, 2020 - To readers: Ahead of 40-year mark, contribute your memories of John Lennon and how his death affected you